Dearest family and friends, you know how I roll. I love to wait to the absolute last minute for most things and packing for a one year "vacation" gives me no reason to alter my behavior ;)
I wanted to let you into the craziness, and so I put together this little timeline of the 36 or so hours once I got back from Hawaii and then left for Bali. Brace yourself.
June 2nd, 2013
- 10pm: Arrive in Seattle from Kaua'i
- 10:30 pm - Midnight: Spend time with Estelle's Mom Ami, sister Riani, friend Andy, and sifted through our stuff.
June 3rd, 2013: THE MAD SCRAMBLE BEGINS...
- 8am - 9am: Last workout at 24 hour fitness :( I had to cancel my membership since they don't have any locations in Bali.
- 10am - 10:30am: Went to my Post Office and closed down my PO Box and returned my key; sprinted to Fred Meyers to grab some key chains and moisture absorbents for our storage unit.
- 10:30am-11am: Ate breakfast with Estelle and her mom
- 11am - 2pm: Packed all the rest of the items that we weren't taking with us in Estelle's van (my girlfriend happens to drive a 12 passenger van for those who dont know!) drove from Seattle to Bothell to my storage unit and played the ultimate game of storage tetris...took a few tries but we finally made it all fit one way or another; FOUND my roomate Ian's box that was accidentally taken on the last storage trip (oops...); dropped off some things for my buddy Dan at his house in Edmonds; went back to Estelle's and grabbed my car.
- 2pm - 3:30pm: Stopped at my old house and returned Ian's box (he was most grateful!); grabbed several bags of trash that I had left at house and put them in my car; caught up with the old roomies for a moment
- 3:30 - 4:30pm: operation clean car and trash drop. Took my car to one of those you clean yourself establishments. $15 later it was washed and vacuumed. Oh, on the way there found a dumpster to throw those 7 bags of trash from my old room.
- 4:30 - 7pm. Oh crap, I needed to go to my new PO Box in Renton to pick up a couple packages but there was no way to get there by 5pm before they closed. BUT, my awesome sister came to the rescue! She was able to stop by before our dinner - love u Stephy!
- Dinner at Mexican Restaurant. Met my sis, her son Malakai, and my step dad Pat for a going away meal. Awesome.
- 7PM - 8:30PM: Had to see my Grandma! Made impromptu trip to my grandma Hynes - truly one of those awesome heart to heart moments that reinforced why I love my grandmama so much! (I didn't shed too many tears)
- 9PM - 10:30PM: Impromptu visit to see my buddy Kevin. How lucky am I that my friend Kevin just happened to be in the area! He is in the military and lives in San Diego. Again, great visit and another heart-to-heart session! He is headed to Afghanistan so I feel so fortunate to have seen him before he leaves.
|(My buddy Kevin and his 2 beautiful daughters)|
- 11pm - LATE! Crap it's late and I am not done packing! Get back to Estelle's moms and its now on to knock out this packing! Spent the rest of night packing and weighing the bags as best we could...wow. Here is a lovely photo of me at 1 am the night before we leave....
|(Approximately 1 AM the night before our flight to Bali)|
- 6am - 9am:
- Wake up - judgment day is here!
- Quick shower, last bit of packing - then load time! How is this all going to fit exactly? Somehow it all worked.
- We are running late! We hustle to my dads and transfer all our luggage into my dads truck. Wonderful step mom, Laurie offered to drive us to the airport!
|(Full car load!)|
- Get to the airport, checked in and then spent the next 30 minutes transferring things from bag to bag so that all 5 of our checked bags were under 50lbs. Somehow we made it work! Awesome!
- Grab some food and then I hear a "Kurt!" And see my old buddy Con! How's that for a good omen!
- Then before we know it - on the plane and on our way flying across the Pacific!
|(My good friend, Con at SeaTac airport)|
Im out of breath from writing all that - so more later!