I was responsible for planning the first half of the day and Estelle had the second half.
Easy enough; well, not really.. After "leaking" a few options, an unlikely front runner emerged for our destination. Instead of splitting up the day - we realized we both had the same idea anyway :) The Waterbom water park! I have to admit, I was very EXCITED that she wanted to do this and I really couldn't think of a better way to spend our anniversary. Water slides, good food and sunshine? AWESOME! Earlier on in our travels, we celebrated the 4th of July at the Sentosa Waterpark in Singapore [See Post], and we both had a great time! Guess we're just big kids after all.
Our BIG DAY.
After I made a little anniversary breakfast (a delicious scramble in case you were wondering!) we packed up our backpack with the usual suspects: towels, books, sunglasses, and of course our sun block. We both had heard fairly good things about the park, but it sure didn't hurt that it was rated as Trip Advisor's number ONE thing to do in the area.
After we put our valuables in the locker, we were off! It was an overcast kinda-day, a Monday, and not peak season so the crowds were minimal - which was fantastic! We had our pick of any of the slides and promptly started off with a water slide called "Boogie Ride" -- it wasn't the fastest or tallest of rides but it had this double dip that made you air born! Whew! That was scary...
From that point we were on a mission to go on ALL of the slides...Here's a quick recap of our favorites!
- Smash Down: A pretty standard water slide but you get to go side by side and race your partner (I kicked Estelle's butt BTW) on a foam board.
- Boomerang: One of our favorites, that is usually featured on their commercials where you and a partner are in an inner tube and at first go down a steep water slide that then takes you to this nearly vertical wall that you of course go up....then go down backwards... not the best option for those who have motion sickness ;)
- Pipeline: This one was the scariest of slides, where you go FAST and just pray for it to be over....Whew!
- Climax: Okay, imagine walking into a plastic tube hatch, then having the door shut on you. Next, as you stand up right, the floor below you opens. So you are literally free falling for a while on this water slide...When you come out of it -- your body is literally shaking and you have to take a seat to regroup. So I guess the name is aptly named.
|(HERE WE ARE GOING DOWN THE BOOMERANG...AND YES WE DID TAKE A PICTURE OF THE $15 PICTURE)|
|(TAKING A LIL' BREAK FROM THE SLIDES TO CATCH UP ON PRODUCTIVITY STRATEGY - NOTE: I DEFINITELY WAS UTILIZING SOME OF THESE STRATEGIES AT WATER BOM)|
|(CHEESING IT UP POOL SIDE!)|
We had soooo muuuuccchh fun! And following up our madness at the water park we went and got 1 1/2 hour massages! :)
We had originally anticipated that we would go out and grab a nice dinner after, but were both so exhausted from playing in the sun all day! Luckily, we both felt the same way and decided to take some of our favorite Mexican food home. Popped open a bottle of wine and watched a great movie together :) Our kind of night.
What a perfect day and I am so thankful that I found someone that feels the same way!
Oh, and time for a little reflection...As I've gotten older, I've realized a few things...
- Our time here is short...sometimes cruelly so.
- Protect your time...once spent there is nothing you can do to get it back.
- Be present in the moment...don't worry about what's happening tomorrow, next week, or what your FB news feed is saying; our life is only made up of "this moment" so make it count!
- Spend AS MUCH time as you can with those you genuinely care and love...you'll never regret it.
- And last, but not least, be extremely picky when you choose a partner.
These are some of the tenets that I try and live my life by -- and I will admit I have a long ways to go before I can say I practice all of them 100%. But, there is something that I can say I now practice and that of course is having chosen the best partner i could have ever dreamed of - Estelle. One of the things I love best most about her is the fact that she pushes me and always reminds me that there is so much more to life. I had always heard that cliche "she makes me better...yadda, yadda, yadda..." But really its true. It's incredible to think back on all of the things that we have done together, traveled here and there (and its been a lot!) in only one year -- but what I value most are those every day things that just embody who she is: her compassion, courage, intelligence, kindness, and adventurous spirit that have quite frankly changed my life for the better. Yep, I am one lucky dude.
P.S. Here is a little collage I put together of some of my favorite photos of us from the past 1 year together...I guess we have been busy!